Please support HANO's work to strengthen the nonprofit sector with a donation through JustGive.org.
MEET Our Board
HANO's Board of Directors.
CONNECT to HANO
SUBSCRIBE to HANO
HANO Member Benefits
From the National Council of Nonprofits
For too long, a myth has hung over the nonprofit community like a scary fog: that nonprofit advocacy is somehow spooky. Nothing could be further from the truth, because advocating for missions is a core part of our sector’s proud legacy.
If you eat in smoke-free restaurants, drive safely on divided highways, have a Social Security card, use your civil rights, or are a voting female, then you are benefiting from the past advocacy work of nonprofits -- and board members. That’s why the National Council of Nonprofits is excited to let you know about a new campaign, Stand For Your Mission, launched to raise awareness -- specifically among nonprofit board members -- that being an advocate for the nonprofit’s mission is an important role for every board member to play.
Don’t just sit on a board: Stand for your nonprofit’s mission.
The Stand for Your Mission campaign calls on all nonprofit board members to stand up as powerful champions for the missions they serve. The campaign is designed to unleash the full potential of nonprofit organizations to advance their missions in their local communities by engaging board members more directly as advocates on behalf of their organizations.
The goals of the Stand for Your Mission campaign are to:
- Bring about a sustainable shift in the understanding and expectations around board engagement in advocacy;
- Move advocacy from an ancillary to a key board leadership role; and
- Strengthen the nonprofit sector’s ability to advance the public good.
Importantly, this new campaign is being advanced by trusted, mainstream organizations in the nonprofit and grantmaking communities that recognize the need to change the culture around nonprofit advocacy so it is embraced as an effective, everyday tool for advancing nonprofit missions.
The National Council of Nonprofits, of which HANO is a member, collaborated with BoardSource, the Alliance for Justice (with its Bolder Advocacy initiative), the Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers, the Campion Foundation and John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, to curate a set of core resources for board members, CEOs and grantmakers.
Hawaii Community Benefit Consultants is a network of independent consultants working to advance the greater good in Hawaii through partnership with nonprofits, public sector agencies and social entrepreneurs.
HCBC serves as a resource to the community in two ways:
- It accelerates the work of community benefit organizations, bringing expertise and fresh eyes to clients and helping them identify and implement strategies to forward their mission and work.
- It is a hub for local socially-minded consultants, providing opportunities to meet fellow consultants, develop collaborations and learn about local people resources who share an interest in serving Hawaii’s greater good.
Click HERE to find out more about HCBC.
Is your nonprofit organization looking for a consultant? Check out HCBC's “Seeking a Consultant?” page for tips and considerations. If a consultant might be right for your needs, take a look at the directory of consultants to learn more about HCBC, what it does and its specialty areas.
Are you a consultant serving community benefit organizations? Visit the “For Consultants” page to learn more about HCBC, or drop a line to let them know that you’re interested in joining the network.
Columbia Books and the Hawaii Alliance of Nonprofit Organizations have joined together to produce the 2014 Hawaii Nonprofit Compensation Report. Thanks to Hawaii nonprofits that participated, both members and nonmembers, the state salary survey conducted in the Spring of 2014 is a collection of invaluable data on nonprofit compensation specifically in Hawaii.
Highlights for this year include new senior job titles, including C-Suite positions, and a new question related to board member compensation.
What does the full report include?
- Hawaii-market-specific salary information for more than 100 positions, including median salaries, average salaries and more
- Compensation analysis by title, nonprofit type, budget and staff size
- Easy-to-use charts and graphs
The report will help you to:
- Determine the most competitive salary level for each position to support recruitment and retention
- Understand how your organization’s pay levels compare with others in your state
- Track changes in nonprofit pay levels and trends from one year to the next
- Provide hard data to support your salary structure recommendations
The report has been prepared by experts with more than 30 years of experience conducting regional nonprofit compensation studies. Its 117 job titles and detailed job descriptions will enable you to match job titles and actual job descriptions.
Click HERE to learn more and to purchase report.
In today’s legal and economic climate, protecting board members, staff and the organization itself from claims is critical. HANO provides low-cost, high-quality D&O insurance. Read More
Your Membership Is Important: The more nonprofit members HANO has the more effective the Alliance can be on their behalf. To learn more about HANO and to apply for membership, joining more than 270 Hawaii nonprofits who are already members, click HERE.
TRY HANO's Job Bank
Hire the Best; Find a New Job: HANO's powerful online Job Bank brings Hawaii nonprofit employers and jobseekers together. Employers, post a job or scan candidate resumes. Job hunters, post your resume for FREE and let jobs find you. Check it out − click HERE.
USE HANO Consultants
Let HANO Assist You: We can bring workshops like board governance, budgeting, fund development and advocacy to your nonprofit. We also facilitate conversations and planning sessions and provide other services. For details, click HERE.