Please support HANO's work to strengthen the nonprofit sector with a donation through JustGive.org.
MEET Our Board
HANO's Board of Directors.
CONNECT to HANO
SUBSCRIBE to HANO
HANO Member Benefits
Attend Hawaii's Premier 2014 Nonprofit Event on Oct. 2
We are excited to announce that registration for HANO's 2014 Conference, "Recharge Restart Reconnect: Powering Up 4 Greater Impact" is open.
- $205 HANO members
- $250 non-members
- $750 friends of the nonprofit sector
The friends of the nonprofit sector package includes four conference registrations, reception and digital marketing opportunities.
Join us and be one of more than 300 nonprofit professionals in attendance at the largest nonprofit gathering in the state. The Annual Nonprofit Conference, presented by HANO, will convene from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 2., at the Ala Moana Hotel, 410 Atkinson Drive, Honolulu.
Here are some conference highlights:
Breakfast Keynote: Creating Places of Healing: Puuhonua -- Mark Kawika Patterson
Luncheon Keynote: How Will the 2014 Elections Impact Our Communities? -- panelists Chad Blair, Beth-Ann Kozlovich, Richard Borreca and Bob Toyofuku, with moderator Jan Harada
- Creating a Culture of Philanthropy in Your Nonprofit
- Recharge! Tech Innovation in Your Workplace
- Use Fitness & Fun to Reconnect Your Employees to Your Business
- Strategy Session: Nonprofit Advocacy Successes
- Nonprofit Finance: Uncovering the Financial Story
- The Leadership Dilemma - Balancing Support and Accountability
- Collective Impact for Community Development
- Advancing Clean Energy with GEMS
- Social Enterprise: Is it For You?
- The Sustainability Conundrum
- #modernmarketing #tellingyourstorydigitally
- Your Technology Strategy: The Fundamentals
- Considering serving on a nonprofit board and want to find the best organization to match your interests?
- New to nonprofit board service and want to build your nonprofit know-how?
- Currently serving on a nonprofit board and want to take your board leadership to the next level?
If you have skills and expertise to offer the nonprofit sector and want to give back to the community, we want you! The Hawaii Nonprofit Board Leadership Institute, presented by the Hawaii Alliance of Nonprofit Organizations, offers professional board governance training that will help you become the nonprofit board member you’ve always wanted to be. Supporting partners are the McInerny Foundation and Pacific Business News.
The training will be from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 2, at the Ala Moana Hotel, 410 Atkinson Drive, Honolulu. A cocktail reception will follow from 4:45 to 6 p.m. The registration fee of $300 includes continental breakfast, lunch, cocktail reception and training materials.
Click HERE for more information and to register by Monday, Sept. 29.
You will learn:
- How to determine which nonprofit is right for you
- Best practices in nonprofit board governance, including the essential functions of a nonprofit board and key responsibilities all board members need to be aware of
- The care and feeding of the board/staff relationship
- Financial literacy in the nonprofit context – what you need to know to provide essential oversight and communicate strategically to funders and stakeholders
- Resource development tools and strategies to aid you in successfully securing the resources a nonprofit needs to achieve its mission
Creating a quality organization – the role of planning and evaluation The Hawaii Nonprofit Board Leadership Institute is being held simultaneously to HANO’s annual Nonprofit Conference. Institute participants will have the opportunity to network with Hawaii’s nonprofit community leaders at lunch and at the cocktail reception.
Ranging from lending and Program Related Investments to Pay for Success and Impact Investing, the Nonprofit Finance Fund's series, The Spectrum of Nonprofit Financing Options, provides a high level view of the state of financing in the social sector, from the traditional to cutting edge.
These webinars are a great way to supplement strong leadership with financial acumen from our staff -- whether for your organization or those you support. Participants will get a clear understanding of both the current and evolving financial landscape for nonprofit organizations. Takeaways will include how to align the right kinds of capital with an organization's needs and how organizations can position themselves to prepare for emerging opportunities. The series begins Tuesday, Sept. 30, and continues for six consecutive Tuesdays.
The Spectrum of Nonprofit Financing Options
1. An Introduction to Debt and Financing for Nonprofits, 9 a.m., Tuesday, Sept. 30. -- Many nonprofits successfully use debt as a strategic tool to:
- Purchase, build or renovate a facility, including to make leasehold improvements
- Purchase or upgrade equipment required for operations
- Manage timing of receivables from government grants or capital campaigns
- Expand programs or grow an earned income or social venture
- Temporarily smooth cash flow to meet day-to-day operating needs
This introductory webinar is designed as a resource for organizations that are new to the lending process and would like to learn more. In 60 minutes, NFF reviews the typical types of loans available to nonprofits, what lenders look for from potential borrowers, and what to expect from a lender.
In today’s legal and economic climate, protecting board members, staff and the organization itself from claims is critical. HANO provides low-cost, high-quality D&O insurance. Read More
Your Membership Is Important: The more nonprofit members HANO has the more effective the Alliance can be on their behalf. To learn more about HANO and to apply for membership, joining more than 270 Hawaii nonprofits who are already members, click HERE.
TRY HANO's Job Bank
Hire the Best; Find a New Job: HANO's powerful online Job Bank brings Hawaii nonprofit employers and jobseekers together. Employers, post a job or scan candidate resumes. Job hunters, post your resume for FREE and let jobs find you. Check it out − click HERE.
USE HANO Consultants
Let HANO Assist You: We can bring workshops like board governance, budgeting, fund development and advocacy to your nonprofit. We also facilitate conversations and planning sessions and provide other services. For details, click HERE.