Giving Hawaii Nonprofits a Voice in Decision Making
Public policy affecting nonprofit organizations, whether at the federal, state or local level, is ever-changing. HANO can help you stay up-to-date on what you need to know.
In the wake of the recent economic downturn, governments, hard-pressed to identify new revenue sources, have been looking more closely at the nonprofit sector as a source for making up their budget deficits. Their policy efforts can either enhance or hinder the nonprofit sector’s ability to deliver on the many missions that strengthen communities. Recently, disturbing trends across the nation remind us that nonprofits are not immune from government efforts to increase nonprofit taxation, remove nonprofit tax-exemptions, expand regulations and delay or reduce payments on government contracts .
Before HANO came to be in 2006, there was no sector-level voice at the decision-making table when nonprofit policy issues were discussed. HANO has emerged as the nonprofit sector advocate – tracking the issues, weighing in on the side of nonprofits and introducing or supporting policies that improve the operating environment for more than 7,000 nonprofits statewide.
HANO has moved the advocacy needle for Hawaii nonprofits by:
- Consistently sending positive messages about the value and importance of Hawaii’s nonprofit sector to our community as a partner to business and government
- Successfully fighting legislative proposals during the last three years that threatened to revoke the General Excise Tax exemption for nonprofits
- Proposing the formation of a task force that was created by the Legislature to address government contracting problems that nonprofits face
- Fighting against the removal of real property tax-exemptions for nonprofits
- Working to repeal a cap on charitable donation deductions for state income tax
Most nonprofits don’t have the time or resources to devote to sector-level issues, despite the impact these issues can have on their ability to deliver on their missions. That is why Hawaii nonprofits appreciate and support HANO’s work in this arena. Join HANO now to strengthen our collective voice.