Some HANO training topics can be customized and offered on-demand for your organization. If you would like us to bring one of these workshops to your organization, please contact Jennifer Cornish Creed at email@example.com or (808)529-0453.
Potential on-demand topics include:
- Board Alive! Best Practices for Nonprofit Board Governance: Effective board governance is critical to ensuring that a nonprofit organization delivers on its mission, manages its resources effectively, and maintains its reputation. This half-day workshop provides board members and executives with tools to help them become more engaged and informed and to fully understand the commitment of serving on a nonprofit board.
- Budgeting Techniques for Nonprofits: A Hands-On Training: Sound financial management and planning are crucial to a nonprofit’s ability to deliver cost-effective services. This half-day workshop is geared to the needs of smaller nonprofit organizations that do not have a professional budget analyst. It introduces participants to the nonprofit budget preparation process and covers topics like keys to timely budget preparation, implementation, monitoring and modification; organizing the budget process; and budgeting for government grants. Participants should have a basic, working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Designing Program-Level Outcome Measures: A one-day workshop for executive and program leaders who are looking for hands-on experience developing outcomes for their organization’s program(s). In today’s environment where donors and consumers want to be assured of quality services and investment in real changes, nonprofit organizations have to develop clear, measurable indicators of their programs’ successes and impact. Ultimately, organizations that fully utilize outcome measures can become learning organizations that reflect on their practices using sound data and seek to improve for the benefit of their constituents, stakeholders and management.
- Good Grantsmanship: This workshop introduces basic techniques in researching grants, enhances skills in proposal writing for foundation funding and gives participants hands-on experience in preparing and reviewing a proposal. Topics include the history of foundations in Hawaii and current trends in philanthropic giving (local and national); strategies for finding the fit with funders; how to put together a proposal and proposal package; and criteria funders employ when evaluating proposals.
- Advocacy 101: Are you ready for the legislative session? Is your voice — and that of your members, clients and community — being heard in the policy-making process? This half-day training will help you get started! This training is designed for 501(c)(3) nonprofit staff, board members, and volunteers who are new to policy advocacy or who need a “refresher” on the basics.
- Nonprofit Compliance 101: This half-day workshop introduces and demystifies the various types of initial and ongoing compliance requirements necessary to maintain a tax-exempt organization. Topics include formation, licenses and exemption, state and federal administrative, governance and tax requirements, and fundraising and financial compliance.