Succession Planning is an ongoing, continuous planning process that builds organizational infrastructure and clarifies current and future strategy. It is designed to prepare an organization for transitions at any time they occur.
Executive Transitions are intermittent, time-bound events that begin when the current leader/executive announces his/her intention to leave (or is removed), and end once new leader has been on-boarded, oriented, and has begun leading the organization.
HANO knows that each leadership transition is unique. Your organization is rooted in core values that guide your focus and actions. Hawaii nonprofit missions are also often place-based and/or deeply rooted in cultural practices, sometimes passed down over multiple generations. We encourage you to use these “deep roots” to anchor and support your organization’s executive transition process.
While there is risk in executive transition, there is also tremendous opportunity for reflection, change, and organizational growth. When well-planned and considered, leadership transitions can result in significantly stronger organizations.
HANO’s Mission-Driven Executive Transitions Toolkit can help.
Designed as a do-it-yourself guide, the easy-to-follow 44-page toolkit will walk you and your board through the three phases of executive transitions management:
- Prepare: Sharpening strategic direction and assessing strengths, opportunities, and risks.
- Search: Identifying and hiring a new chief executive, while also stabilizing the organization in preparation for a new leader.
- Thrive: Supporting the new leader and ensuring they get off to a good start and are set up for success.
Each section includes:
- a checklist
- a list of recommended reading
- guiding questions
- insights directly from others who have experienced, led, or advised leadership transitions
- a list of templates and samples included with the toolkit (20 total!) so you can avoid reinventing any wheels.
This is an electronic publication, so after placing your order, you’ll receive an email confirmation with instructions to view and download the toolkit and all of the accompanying samples and templates.
- HANO member rate: $79
- Non-member rate: $129